626 North Illinois Street
Purchased in late 2003, the Thornton & Levi Building has been transformed into the new corporate headquarters of Browning Day Mullins Dierdorf Architects. The historic north portion of the building was built in 1924 to house a printing company, and it served in that capacity for more than 75 years. In 1986, the building was expanded to a total of 50,000 square feet with the addition of a reinforced concrete structure to house high-speed presses. The BDMD transformation is dramatic - its interior design emphasizing the 1986 expansion's strong structural components while retaining historic elements and the German Rustic Revival character of the 1924 building. Emphasis is placed on the 14-foot ceilings, giving a loft feel to the studio space where most of the staff is located. This is the third downtown structure purchased and creatively adapted to house the offices of Browning Day Mullins Dierdorf Architects. The historic 1924 building was renovated using the Department of Interior – National Park Services Guidelines for Historic Preservation.
2004 Achievement Award, Downtown Development, A Monumental Affair
2004 Award of Honor, Associated Builders and Contractors of Indiana