|Cover image from An Architect’s Guide to Integrating Energy Modeling in the Design Process
© 2012 The American Institute of Architects
Earlier this month, the American Institute of Architects (AIA) released its long-awaited primer for architectural professionals interested in integrating energy modeling into the design process. The publication, titled An Architect’s Guide to Integrating Energy Modeling in the Design Process, is a comprehensive 86-page document that defines the fundamentals of energy modeling, outlines the current state of various performance and analysis tools, and foretells the direction of an architectural industry increasingly focused on performance-based design.
Among other outstanding components of the document, the Guide offers:
- A succinct introduction to many key terms related to energy modeling.
- Clarifications related to common misunderstandings about energy modeling.
- An outline of the cycle of benefits energy modeling enables throughout the design process.
- Several potential new and ongoing service opportunities for professionals well versed with energy modeling.
- A summary of the most palatable energy modeling tools in the market today.