Indiana State LibraryIndianapolis, Indiana
The historic Indiana State Library, built in 1933, sits on the campus of the Indiana State Capitol and Government Center Complex. Although the library was expanded in 1977, the new construction was not fully integrated with the original building.
In 1999, Browning Day was commissioned to design a complete renovation of the facility. The library’s exterior was unified by redesigning the 1933 building’s entry plaza and designing a new facade for the 1977 building. Inside, a grand public hall was added to connect the two structures. Interior spaces have been reorganized, positioning highly utilized departments on the lowest levels. State-of-the-art library technologies are incorporated seamlessly with grand historic rooms to meet the needs of a 21st-century library.
This adaptive reuse was designed to meet the Department of Interior-National Park Service’s Guidelines for Historic Preservation.