Indiana University Maxwell Hall Courtyard Bloomington, Indiana
Browning Day provided design and documentation services for a renovation to the Maxwell Hall Courtyard on the Bloomington campus. The space is delineated by the original building to the south, the 1907 addition to the west and north, and a freestanding stone wall with arched entryway to the east. The courtyard is approximately 1,650 square feet and previously consisted of a simple sidewalk and turf.
The upgrade removed and rebuilt the eastern wall and arched entryway. The masonry pattern and limestone wall match that of Maxwell Hall. Hand carved limestone seats provide seating opportunities around the edge of a bluestone paved plaza, with landscaping and a water feature as focal points, and lighting to allow visitors in the evening. Provisions for the future include a foundation for a potential piece of art/sculpture at the back of the plaza to serve as an additional focal element.